Thursday, November 8, 2012

Homemade Kahlua



In September I started the process of making my own Kahlua and yesterday November 7th I was finished. After a few taste tests I can assure you it's "some pretty good stuff". I followed the recipe, link below, with a few of my own adjustments added. I used Stoleys Vanilla Vodka and Starbucks french roast coffee beans.

Can't you just smell the coffee boiling in the picture on the right.  Coffee aroma filled the house for the next few days.









As you can see from the photo below, I used a fruit canning strainer because that is what I had on hand. I think for next year I will invest in a beverage strainer, since I had to strain this liquid 4 times before all the coffee debris was gone.  I guess you could use instant coffee, if you didn't want to go through the bother of straining. We are not instant coffee drinkers so that would not work for us. If you are asking yourself how would you know? I would always be saying to myself "I should of used coffee beans instead":).

Kahlua 2012
I reused some maple syrup glass jars I have been saving so some time . 
 Talking to my friend Lisa last night she told me how she likes her Kahlua served. Pour a shot or two of Kahlua over ice into a glass then slowly pour the same amount of 1/2 & 1/2 milk into the same glass then top with a drop or two of some more Kahlua. Yum Yum! I have to say.  


If you would like to have your fridge filled with enough Kahlua to last the winter & to give as gifts for the holidays follow this recipe from Ski Bum Kitchen. 


Happy Wintertime!  Betty


3 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Clever ideathese...would be a nice addition to the gift pantrt!
x-x

Amanda said...

Nice! I didn't even know that was something one could make. I will be looking forward to trying some. :D

Betty said...

You are so right Tracey, I need to get whats left out of my house. I am enjoying way to much:)..Amanda, you can take some home on Thanksgiving..It is sooo good.