Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mid July 2009 Gardening .Notes!

After getting our garden in 2 weeks late I have harvested the 1st of many red potato's. My Mother explained to me that you take a shovel and dig deep under the plant and pull out the potato's and leave the plant in place to produce more, you can have fresh potato's through out the entire summer. How cute are these:) This amount of potato's are from under 2 plants I planted 9 potato starter seed things.

About 2 hours later they were transformed into Betty's Garden Salad. I really don't have a recipe it was what ever I had available at the time. Boy was it good!



Notes:

*Plant more rows of potato's farther apart, no animal has be interested in eating the plant itself. Try white, yellow ones next year.


*Cover bean's and pea's as soon as they are planted, if the deer don't eat the baby plants, June gets to them when the plants are about 4" tall.


* Don't plant carrots again, don't even try, I can't get them to grow in our garden.


* Add Grandpa Jason's watering sprinkler about 2 weeks after planting seeds. Leave on 30 minutes twice a day increasing up to 1 hour in mid July. In addition to the underground sprinklers.


To be cont...

No comments: