Saturday, May 29, 2010

Outdoor Bathing!

Sometimes I think I should of been born in the 1800's. The everyday simple way of life they use to live is not that easy to pull off today. You know now that I think about it, I am sure it wasn't that simple then either; so here is what I have going on in a very small section of our backyard.

We gave one of our kids our hot tub, I was tired of the chemicals, and I am sure Glenn was tired of the electric bill:) I love being in water or around water so thanks to an article, "outdoor bathing...aaahhh" in a magazine called Mary Jane Farms vol. 9 #3 April-May 2010 I was inspired!



1st step - The Tub! Only cask iron will do so after "the search" we found one in Portland at Hippo Hardware Store, this tub was away from the rest, pretty much down some stairs in a corner with stuff piled on top of it. My new tub is pretty beat up and has been mistreated for some time now. The good thing about it is all 4 feet are present and we found a cold water knob that was missing so after some loving care this tub will look just like knew I just know it.

2nd step - Heating the water! Glenn has some ideas, that sound like it will work, more on that at a later date.

3rd step - Location! We have the perfect spot, I can't wait to blog about it when we get the tub moved to that area.

4th step - Pulling it all together!  This is where I will stop for now,  please feel free to check my blog in the future to see how things turn out.
Happy Bathing!


note: Hippo photo courtesy - Casey & Holly Rausch :)

4 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hi Betty! I just love this post on outdoor bathing!!! I've seen Mary Jane's books but will definitely explore here site more often for these fun and useful ideas. :)
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

Betty said...

Thanks Tracey, This will be a fun project, and won't it be a great conversation piece for a backyard. We are having a graduation picinic in July in our yard and it will be so fun to see the families response:) Dare to be different, right!
Betty

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love the idea of outdoor bathing! I love checking out MJ's magazine the photos are always so beautiful!

Manuela

Betty said...

Thanks Manuela, The outdoor bathing area in our yard has been quite the project this summer. I am now trying to figure out something I can put over the top that is clear and durable for the winter months, or for a visual effect when we are outside. But plexi glass is so expensive right now, so I am seeing if I have any other options available. Have a great day, Betty