Sunday, January 25, 2009

Annual Coast Trip


We have decided that every January we will make a trip to the coast for a weekend. We just returned from Pacific City, what a great time we had. The weather was sunny and warm, no wind or rain to speak of, while here at home it was less then 20 degrees (I am told) and sky's were gray with snow falling to the ground. So we picked a great weekend to be somewhere else.


from top of the sand hill



We stayed right on the ocean with our room right next to the Pelican Brewery, we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there, it almost got embarrassing how the waiters and hostesses got to know us. I guess this time of the year they don't have very many vacationers around.








On Saturday after breakfast we climbed up the great sand hill , well I almost made it, I wish I wasn't so scared of heights I sort of froze and sat down and that is where I stayed while Glenn continued up to the top to view the pacific ocean. The photos I took while waiting sort of shows you how high I got before the "freak out" set in and I sat down to wait.

Me during my "freak out" on the side of the sand hill, so I guess you could call this photo



"I am really scared right now"




My feet dug into the sand while sitting on the hill almost to the top, see the ripples in the sand they are about 100 yards down.



The next adventure we took was the 2.6 mile one way to Cape Lookout. I thought 2.6 miles piece of cake I walk 4 miles with a friend twice a week I can walk 5.2. Little did I realize we would be traveling on a trail on a side of a mountain getting to view the ocean like I have never seen before but you pay for the view, traveling up, up, up and knowing you are not alone on the mountain since they give you warnings of what you should do if you come upon a bear. The sign said this:

1. stay calm


2. look big :)

3. fight back if you need to!


OK, so #1 would probably be hard for me, #2 that one is easy, #3 I can fight when I need to but on a single person trail with the edge being the cliff to the ocean, are you crazy? So those where my thoughts or maybe I did voice the above to Glenn I don't know I was pretty nervous. But all I can say is WOW when you get to the top and you look out all you can see is; horizon to horizon and between that you see the curvature of the earth. The water is a color like nothing I have seen before on the Oregon Coast. Now that I told you all about it guess what, I forgot my camera so we took photos from Glenn's cell phone we also talked about a day pack is in order when we do stuff like this.
Sun Spots out in the ocean, taken on our hike down from Cape Lookout



I would highly recommend taking this hike even though you hike up the difficulty is slight to moderate, and if I can do it then anybody can. I hope next year the weather will cooperate and we can do it again. Oh and no bears, lucky for them... Thanks Glenn for a great weekend, I know it is one of many this year. Isn't life wonderful!

Low tide was at 6:10pm, so around 5pm we went by the rocks at the foot of the sand hill and came across the best tide pools, it is to bad that it got dark on us. This is something that needs to be checked out in the summer time when there is light longer into the evening.
look at all the sea life on this rock.

Enjoying the tide pools.




Until next time....











3 comments:

Amanda said...

That looks so fun!! I miss the beach. The 3 of us need to get up there soon, we're getting cabin fever. I like all your pictures! :)

bunbun said...

What beautiful pics! I havent been to the coast in ages with Casey. I like to go in off season, too

I love that starfish photo! So pretty!

Hazelrah said...

Beautiful Pictures! I almost forgot how lovely the coast can be. We tried taking a trip there for my birthday last year, but complications happened and we couldn't. Hopefully soon, though. I miss the smell of the ocean.