Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Junipers Meal Time!

While I was visiting Casey and his wife Holly, I was pleasantly surprised to see how they feed their 2 dogs. I have heard Holly refer to the Dogs as "her boys" so their daily care is very important to the two of them. As I watch their dogs behavior while Casey is making their dinner it just fascinated me, so I proceed to ask Casey all the questions someone would need to know that doesn't understand the importance. He was very educated on this subject and he show me a book he is using as his "guide" to making their dogs food at home.


Casey tells me to look on Amazon for this book and I should pay about $4.50 well he was right, the book; Dr. Pitcairn's complete secrets to the natural health of dogs and cats, is a great reference to start a dogs life style change like this.

No more will we have paid the Vet for Junes allergies to food that causes her to "lick" spots on her body raw. We thought maybe it was a nervous behavior but not necessarily the case. Needless to say we are owners of a very happy dog lately. After asking Casey all the questions I could think of and then reading the dog section of the above book. I have changed June's diet, and I am having some fun doing it.

The other morning Monica as picking the dried strawberries out of her special K cereal. I quickly looked in my book and strawberries are listed as a fruit that is good for dogs so I ask Monica to put the strawberries on a paper towel and leave them for June's breakfast. Well I am sure all of you know what Monica's response was but boy did June like the surprise she had in her oats that morning. I have found that it really takes no time at all to put together her meal and when I go to her cupboard to get her special mixing bowl and spoon that I use, she is right there at my feet, sitting there waiting and actually drooling knowing she is getting her new diet food. This is something she looks forward to twice a day and I get this weird satisfaction that I have found something that will work finally, and without paying $40 + for a special bag of dog food.

Here is an example of her diet:

Morning - quick cooked oats, 2 egg yokes, chopped up carrots (for crunch and chewing up something), flax seed, protein oil, ( I will use protein powder when her current spot goes away) and topped with a teaspoon of yeast, and Monica's dried strawberries from her cereal.


Dinner - mixture of brown and white rice cooked, turkey meat, carrots, if I have an apple cut up I use that also, flax seed, protein oil, water and topped with yeast.

There is so much you can use from your fridge, we had some spinach that I knew we weren't going to finish and in the past it would of went into the garbage but now it was part of June's recipe. I just find this fascinating and from what Casey tells me and what I read in the book the cost factor is quite a bit less then buying dog food.
So with that, homemade dog food means one happy Junipe Berry!

1 comment:

bunbun said...

Thats great, Betty!
I am glad you liked that book and started this, it is fun to scavange the fridge to use up old veggies, etc instead of throwing away.
June is such a sweet doggy and I am sure she really likes what you are doing for her.
I always felt a little guilty that the dogs had to eat food that was less than appetizing, while they had to smell our bacon, etc. i thought it must be torture, but now they get what they really want!