Friday, September 5, 2008

Farewell Garden


Juniper and I in the garden.

Wild Poppy's

My Garden is gone, last weeks cold nights took it away, the deer are now eating the weeds, whats with that?? I had so many zucchini I took them out to the road in my wagon with a free sign on them, I hope everyone that took them enjoyed them. The Ladies at work enjoyed them also but I knew it was time to stop bringing them in when they were asking for different sizes for their recipes.


I realized the beans were enjoyed by our dog Juniper Berry I caught her one day pulling the littlest bean off the vines and eating it, she had worked her way down the entire row. As far as the corn I think we planted it in the wrong spot they all came up but the stocks didn't get very tall, I think how we watered them could be the issue we will need to change that next year. The tomatoes are doing great in their water wells but the tops get eaten off regularly by the deer, I don't know if that effects the actual tomato or not.

looking up into the sky! I am 5'8", how tall do you think my sunflowers are?

Oh as for the Strawberries, they are doing great Glenn has them on the south side of the house so they are protected, we do have a creature living in the woodpile or in the near by juniper tree that leaves the bottom part of a strawberry on top of the wood pile for me to see this happens almost daily. Don't these wild animals understand I really don't like them in my yard and there are plenty of other yards to "munch" on.
Strawberry Bins!

Glenn tells me I need to learn to get along with our wild friends, like plant some for them and plant some for me somehow I don't think that is going to work I know they would think my garden was better then theirs and all the wild animals would still come into my garden and leave their small garden for me. Maybe if I got them feeders, no that would make more come around wouldn't it.

These strawberry's are so good we planted 3 different kinds the verdict is still out which one we like the best.

So as I was making lunch, Glenn looks to see what I am writing about and he looks up a me and says "the garden is no where near done for the season" and this post is about a month early. Well little does he know I am going to start cleaning up the garden area and get ready for winter!! I like the winter months until about February, if it goes on longer which it normally does then it starts to get old. So enjoy the photos of the garden, my next photos will be of the winter clean up.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've liked seeing photos of your garden Betty! I can't believe it's fall already (almost).

ashtekk said...

hi baby,

let's go on a date to remote parts of central oregon and plan our next years garden strategy:)