Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Date with Glenn!


On my break yesterday I text Glenn asking him to take me out on a date, so he asked me if I wanted to pick up some dinner, take the top off the jeep and head up to Broken Top. Broken Top is on of our favorite spots to be in the summer. Anyway someone Glenn works with told him there was another way to get into the broken top area and he wanted to hear more because it is getting harder and harder each year to get to our favorite spot. So Glenn was very anxious to try this new route, this is where the story begins.

We left on skyliner road after stopping at Long Board Louie's for some tacos and beer. We were to follow some well maintained forest road, Glenn was following his GPS that he can read really well with his glasses but last night he did not bring them, being on a date and all. We drove along and over a mountain side full of 5 foot tall manzanita with the road or should I call it trail full of rocks, boulders, ruts for miles and hours. The sun was setting and there was no moon in sight. Glenn stayed calm and cool as always making me believe he knew exactly what he was going to do next, but I knew he had no idea where we were or how we were going to get out of the forest. The funny thing about this was being at 6800 ft elevation you could see the lights of Bend but you did not have anyway of knowing how to go in the direction of the lights.
After awhile we came to some familiar territory but that was after we had drove through a stream, dodged bull toads all over the road, look eye to eye with deer along side the road or I mean trail, I guess you can call it a jeep trail..., and all around us was the dark august night sky.
We did make it to broken top right to the area we like the most, Glenn stopped the jeep we reclined the seats and watched the night sky. I have never in my life seen the sky I seen that night the Milky Way was across the whole sky you could even see where the Way started and ended, I could even see the curve of it, only those people who have seen it understand what I am talking about. It was well worth the drive or should I say adventure.
So now there was a decision to make, go back the way we came or continue on the way we were familiar with and hope the boulders were gone from the entrance or our case the exit. I really did not want to go back, I have had better experiences in my life to say the least so on we went hoping the exit was cleared. When we got to the exit at Todd Lake it was open and we were able to get onto Century Drive, we "high five" each other and on home we went.
I told Glenn I think he owes me another date, he just looked at me and said "Didn't you have a good time?" I answered "yes, but you still owe me another date". We both smiled at each other, I thought to myself another crazy adventure under our belts.

1 comment:

ashtekk said...

hi baby,

you're never lost if you know where you are:)

sure was fun... i heard about another shortcut you might enjoy...