Thursday, June 4, 2009

Book Review #2


As you probably have figured out by now I am a really slow reader, but I do enjoy the time I get to read. I am on the last chapter of the book:


STUBBORN Twig


By


Lauren Kessler


This book is about three Generations in the life of a Japanese American Family. Starting in the 1900 - present, I normally don't care for the historical novels it is hard for me to stay focused but this is an Oregon based book taking place in the Hood River area. I enjoyed the read, I appreciate the tried but true story of this family and I would have to say I learned a lot. At the end of the book it has a section for reading groups to engage in conversation and the 1st question really sums it up it goes like this;


Question # 1

Close your eyes, and picture an "American." Describe what you see. What does an "American" look like?


Until the next book...

3 comments:

bunbun said...

From what you were telling me when we were in Hood River, I would really like to read this.
I have always liked reading about Oregon's history, it seems like life was very rough back in the day.

I really like your cute pic with your rice bowl and glasses. I like reading at the dining table, too!

Amanda said...

I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns". That book was really intense, it made me a thousand times grateful that I'm raising a daughter in America, not Afghanistan. I couldn't believe how oppressive it is! That book really put it into perspective for me.

Betty said...

Thanks Holly if I read at the dinner table I don't fall asleep.
Amanda, I agree with you I felt different when I read that book too. There is another book on my "2009book list" about life in Afghanistan, you might also want to read. I have to space those type of books far apart due to the subject. But still I like to read about that culture. Have a good day Ladies, Betty