Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Monkey Face / Vacation Chapter II


Look close at the rock pillar and you see Monkey Face, at Smith Rocks Park.





Smith Rocks in a great place to hike and watch people rock climb. I spent the afternoon hiking the trails with Glenn, Andrew and Debbie. Our goal was to hike to were we could see "Monkey Face", we completed our goal but not without watching rock climbers scale the mountain, walk by the sound of a rattle snake, become extremely warm, and just enjoy our surroundings.







Warning sign at the beginning of the trail head!








Andrew and Debbie right after hearing a rattle snake..










Glenn and I in a rock cave trying to cool off we are about 1/2 way into our hike.




I was so taken by this sage brush because the color from the green leaves and pink and white flowers made this plant look like wall paper from past. The photo doesn't really show you what I saw but trust me it was beautiful.







On our way home Glenn stopped at the local market at Smith Rocks where they have been serving Huckleberry Ice Cream since I can remember. The ice cream was as great as I recall from so long ago. I think Glenn felt bad because after you hike the trails then you have to hike out of the canyon and it is up hill so I was challenged to say the least, it took me awhile to get out of the canyon but I did it. What you don't know is I came home and sat in my chair with a wet towel over my face trying to cool down. Debbie kept coming over to me asking me if I was going to be OK, of course I said yes but at the time I just wanted to die. Probably won't go back to smith rocks until its Fall time. I will end this chapter of my vacation with; it was nice to see you again Monkey Face and I hope to see you again in the Fall/Winter months.

4 comments:

ashtekk said...

hi baby,

don't let your mom read this one:) she might be upset with me for being responsible for another death valley style hike. sorry you got so hot, it was a really nice hike though... sure was a fun vacation:)

Betty said...

Don't worry I a pretty sure my Sister won't tell Mom...The hike was a great time to spend Andrew and Debbie it is just to bad the sun had to get in the way. But I thought I was doing pretty good at hiding it, what do you think?

ashtekk said...

hi baby,

one of the reasons i love you so much is because of your transparency. you may have been able to fool debbie (which you didn't,) but i quit drinking water early in the trip because i saw the signs. i love you betty jo:)

Betty said...

Ashtekk -- Oh REALLLLY!