Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sunflowers




How Cute is this!








Here is the 1st sunflower of the season, isn't it cute! I am waiting to see how many actually get flowers on them since they all came up volunteer. The deer have ate most of the sunflower plants I have left the stocks up so hopefully the deer keep nibbling on them and not the one patch that has been avoided so far. Most of the garden this year has been eaten up by deer we have 2 fawns and a mother doe that come in about every night or early morning to have a snack, it has made me very upset and I really don't know what to do next year, it really seems useless to plant but I so like a garden in my back yard. They have even pulled the zucchini off the stocks now that is hungry.












I hope to enjoy some more sunflowers as they grow, we just leave them in the garden all winter so the birds can come in to eat on the seeds. The stocks on the plant are so large they stand up through the entire winter until we pull them out the following spring. I think there is about 2 months left before the 1st frost. Really I am just hoping it will be that long we will see.



This is what happens after the deer have their dinner in the middle of the night. Not a pretty sight.





2 comments:

The Hunky Gardener said...

That's a nice looking sunflower. I tried 'Peach Passion' last year but it wasn't as nice as the photo in the catalogue.

Garden till ya drop!

Amanda said...

Awww, dang deer! They're so cute but I'm glad I don't have them where I live (sorry Betty). I like your sunflowers!