Wednesday, June 25, 2008

personal passion



I think this is what you would call "ironic", let me start with a conversation that my Husband and I had last night, we were eating dinner outside and I said " oh look I think the deer have tried to get into the potted flowers", Glenn starts to say "yeah I see they ate..." then he stopped talking. You see I had a bad day and he knew if he told me, I would blow, again right then and there! So I knew something was gone in our garden or in the flowers beds in the front yard, but I did not investigate the situation right then.






This morning I wanted to dedicate 2 hours to the back yard/garden area, so approx. 9am after my walk with my walking partner Yvette, I see what he almost told me. The PEA'S, they were ate done to about 1" from the dirt. OK, I know I am going a little to far with this and I should just give up, but I really like the garden, we don't get a whole lot of food out of it, but I do get a great pleasure from the plants and such. So I clean up all around the peas that are left and I put up some silver gardening ribbon that attracts light I think it is more for birds but we will see if that helps.






After I was done with the pea's I went over to some wooden military gun boxes that I plant violets in, guess what gone right down to 1" from the dirt. I laugh and say to myself do I continue to be crazy about this or put my whole yard into gravel?? So I got some bamboo sticks and netting and made a top over the wooden boxes so the violets can grow back and the deer can't get them. Now here is the funny part, (not really but what can I do), June our dog starts to go crazy by the gate to the front yard and I hear someone or something walking in the gravel when I go to see who it is, its "the Deer" eating the yellow baby roses off my miniature wild rose bush that I did have netting on but I must of took it off and forgot to put in back on.






I know there is some sick moral to this story, but needless to say my 2 hours where up and I am going to call it a day in the garden. Tomorrow I am working in the front yard in the morning and I will be covering back up the wild rose bush and see what other plants I can put netting on. Call me crazy or call me stubborn but I can say that the deer keep me busy and trying to out smart them can be sort of fun! As a side note Deer don't seem to like paeonie's, this variety is called 'Madelon' you would think it looked like a big bowl of Ice Cream but the deer don't eat it.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Have you ever tried that deer repellent spray? People at work say it works, we sell a lot of it. It stinks but that's what the deer don't like about it.

Betty said...

I have been warned that June would probally roll in or around where I spray. Since she is in the house as much as outside I was concerned about that. Have you heard one way or another about that?