Tuesday, June 24, 2008

wild flowers in the mountains

It has been my experience while living in Central Oregon you have a window of 2 months to enjoy the wild flowers in the mountains. It really is a snap shot in time that you have to capture, my Husband took these photo's this past weekend. I was amazed at the quantity and color he was able to capture with his camera. I am not sure so don't quote me but he was somewhere around the 4000 to 6000 foot altitude when he came across this wonderful natural landscape. I look at these photos and wonder what the women thought who where on the Oregon Trail when their wagons came across land as beautiful as this. Do you suppose that they were so tired and sickly that they did not even notice their surroundings. I do remember reading in a book called All TOGETHER in one PLACE by Jane Kirkpatrick. That there were some women who tried to get their husbands to stay in this area but the men said "the winters where to hearse we are moving on towards the pacific coast". I can see why they wanted to stay if they came upon this sight.
How many colors do you count? It looks like an example of a crayon box don't you think.
This is the mountain range where he came across all these beautiful wild flowers, so this goes to show you, you will never know what you come across while in the mountains. Am I right BOYS!!
If you have read my other posts you know I have a problem with deer eating my flowers/garden. Here is a question, where are all the deer and why aren't they eating these flowers do you think the mountain flowers are naturally poisonous so they are guarding against being eaten by the animals in the mountain.. Thought to myself, maybe I should plant only wild flowers around my house!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can see why that sight is hard to give up, it is precious.

arlene,
West Bremerton florist

bunbun said...

Wow, beautiful post, betty! I love the wildflowers, we have a lot in our yard and it think they are lovely and manage not to take over too much. and yes, no bugs seem to eat them, just bees are drawn to them, which is good. What the bugs really like at our house are peonies and really bulbous flowers. Right now in PDX there are wildflowers blooming like crazy at the MAX stations and in cool random spots, it make everything so pretty

Nigel and simon have completly ruined our little flower bed in the backyard with their territory marking! Ugh!

Lisa said...

I'm telling ya... more fabulous photos that a book or magazine would purchase. Heck, I'd buy and frame them!! I think Glenn's got an untapped talent ready to be discovered!!....ok, I get 10%!!